Book Addicts Welcome

I created this blog as a way for book addicts like myself to share their new favorite books and to find suggestions for great reads. Comments and suggestions are appreciated!

To Read List

The Hunger Games







Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Help


Kathryn Stockett's very first novel, The Help, was on my library's recommended read list and after reading it I understand why.

Set in the 1960's in Jackson, Mississippi it is a look at the racial tension that still existed even though slavery had been abolished. Miss Skeeter is a white woman who is tired of seeing injustice take place all around her and in an effort to cause some change she gets several black maids to share their stories and compiles them into a book. Along the way she loses all of her friends and is alienated by the town, but it is nothing compared to the risk the maids faced by speaking out. It is very well written, and easy to fall into each of her characters. It was one I could not put down until I read the very last page.

In pitch-perfect voices, Kathryn Stockett creates three extraordinary women whose determination to start a movement of their own forever changes a town, and the way women--mothers, daughters, caregivers, friends--view one another. A deeply moving novel filled with poignancy, humor, and hope, The Help is a timeless and universal story about the lines we abide by, and the ones we don't.

    - KathrynStockett.com
An excerpt from the book
"I come home that morning, after I been fired, and stood outside my house with my new work shoes on. The shoes my mama paid a month's worth a light bill for. I guess that's when I understood what shame was and the color of it too. Shame ain't black, like dirt, like I always thought it was. Shame be the color of a new white uniform your mother ironed all night to pay for, white without a smudge or a speck a work-dirt on it."



Aibileen looks up to see what I think. I stop typing. I'd expected the stories to be sweet, glossy. I realize I might be getting more than I'd bargained for. She reads on.

No comments: